From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 05:33:41 -0700
Someone wrote:
>I was a little curious since she had said his adrenals were OK 2 months ago,
>but people make mistakes and maybe she had just missed seeing something.

It is quite likely that this vet did NOT make a mistake the first time.
Adrenal tumors can advance quite rapidly.  I've seen a little girl here
examined for adrenal tumors and pronounced "no tumors", then 6 weeks later
go in for adrenal surgery because symptoms worsened and it was found that a
tumor now exists and in fact, has grown so rapidly (a cancerous tumor) that
all of it could not be removed.

It is also quite possible for adrenal glands to show *no* abnormalities, yet
contain a tumor inside of the gland.  This is very important to know.  Age
is not necessarily a factor either.  A few weeks ago a pre-cancerous adrenal
gland was removed from a *one-year-old* here!

Learn the symptoms of adrenal disease and other "all to common" ferret
health concerns/diseases, and you'll be much better prepared and may save
your ferret's life!  The FAQ's are quite helpful in discussing these things.
But most important of all, make the effort to locate a vet who knows and
understands ferret diseases and problems!  (Not just a vet who says, 'oh
yeah, I see ferrets'.) Choosing your vet is the single most important
decision you will ever make in your ferret's life.  And just as important
(almost) is to NOT put off seeing that vet if you see anything unusual in
your ferret's health.  The right vet, a knowledgeable one, will make sure
the right steps are taken.

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter