From:
Robert Dejournett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:44:12 -0500
Re: blood in stool
I thought in humans (for whatever that's worth) this was associated with
carcinoma.  The original poster said:

>It sounds to me like an intestinal/stomach problem ... the bloody poop
>happens when the intestine is seriously upset.  If they had a fever, they
>probably had some kind of virus.  It doesn't sound like you have many ferret
>vets around ... you might want to take some time and find one.  I don't know
>how knowledgable your current one is.

I'm not an expert, obviously, but blood in the stool doesn't really
indicate, in my mind, an 'upset intestine/stomache', this is a vague term
anyway (no offense to the poster!), but this has to do with repture of the
intestinal/stomach wall, else how else would the blood get there?  This can
be seen if the intestine is highly inflamed and eventually starts to tear as
the inflamation makes bleeding more prone.  If there is alot of blood, this
is worse than less blood.  It could be a parasite of bacterial/viral nature.
It could be carcinoma, or another disease.  My ferret daisy recently
experienced adrenal surgury, during the surgury the vet found a highly
inflammed small intestine, which was odd to me, because the night before
the surgury she was just fine (seemingly), and pre-operation complete blood
count was normal in red and white blood cells.  This was probably a viral
attack of some sort.  I had to give her corticol steriods (probably
spelling that wrong), and two types of antibiotics, and she wouldn't eat
solids for 14 agonizing days!  She lost practically all her body fat (not
like she had much to begin with, the hyperactivity associated with the
enlarged adrenal gland took care of that), and to make a long story short,
it was a long recovery.  But she did recover and right now is just great.
Anyways, that's my story.

-Rob

   Robert Dejournett             [log in to unmask]
   Graduate Student
   Graduate School of Biomedical Science
   University of Texas Houston