Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:34:26 -0400
I went to Sweden about 2 years ago and went on the internet ahead of
time to line up people (with ferrets) to meet while I was there. I met
up with a group of friends and their 5 ferrets in a park in Stockholm.
What a treat. We exchanged newsletters and ferret parenting ideas. I
later met up with another woman at her home and visited with her 3
ferrets. They don't believe in cages at all in Sweden. When she opened
her front door, the ferrets raced out to the front porch to greet us.
Her front yard was ferret friendly and secure. It was so much fun to
visit with them and learn how Swedish ferrets live.

In Sweden they don't sell ferrets in pet stores because of higher cage
size regulations and it would be too costly for the pet stores to
display them. Maybe the U.S. needs to be upgraded to higher standards?
There are more people that breed them, but only one (at the most, two)
litters per year. They have a waiting list of "qualified" ferret
parents waiting for them. No ferret shelters there.....

Yes, that would be a great idea to get a network of people willing to
donate their time to us travelers in need of a "ferret fix". If anyone
is in the Mpls MN area, they are welcome to visit my home/shelter.

Dooks,
Liz
 ...in the Company of Ferrets, Inc.
 www.ferretasylum.com