From:
Don Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:18:01 -0400
I noticed that Dr.  Williams said rabies vacinations go into the leg.  My
Rocky got his just last Saturday on the scruff.  Is this wrong?

Also I got some advice from the vetrinarian who had just atended a ferret
seminar.  In Michigan it is now legal to own a ferret, however they do not
have status as pets.  If your ferret bites someone in Michigan the ferret is
imediately killed and examined for rabies.  No certificates are examined, no
observation is conducted.  The bottom line is that in Michigan you need to
be very careful about who your ferret interacts with.  If your ferret nips,
as they sometimes do, and that nip is reported as a bite then you loose your
ferret.  Also, I was advised that veterinary costs are higher becuase of
this.  In order to treat a ferret for many things that would not normally
require anasthesia, the vet must use it to avoid getting bitten.

Don