From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:26:00 -0400
I have had a number of mails asking why I have been so quiet recently.
(Have I been?)  Anyway, if I have been it is because it is hard for me
to look up answers for people right now so I have to do fewer and not
do them as thoroughly as before.  A couple of weeks ago I got a large
vitreous tear away from the retina in one eye (luckily not a retinal
separation).  At this point, although my eye tires more rapidly than it
used to I am doing okay for reading but skimming is very hard -- pretty
close to impossible.  I've developed some tricks I am using, with the
best so far being skimming vertically one column at a time and then
another (or with e-mails I can make them skinny and do just one column),
or moving my eyes rapidly back and forth in a somewhat exaggerated manner
so that my better eye covers both sides, or using the speech function on
my mac so that i can listen (and hopefully move up to speed listening).
Right now a lot just gets missed by me visually.

There are so very many people here that I figure that someone else must
have been in this position.  ***** Could you let me know techniques you
found that work for this very frustrating dilemma?  *****
You would not be helping just me but you'd help those for whom i look up
health info.

Meanwhile, I want to remind people that if you look in the critical
refs in
http://www.ferretcongress.org
you can find very many sources of health information including
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org which Pam and Eric Sessoms kindly make
available as the archives for
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth (where Pam is a co-
moderator)
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc which Mike Janke (another FHL co-
moderator) has available to help all
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html which Dr. Bruce Williams (an
FHL moderator on hiatus) provides to teach vets and ferret people
and of course the FML Archives -- addy in the header of everyday's FML:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html which Bill
Gruber, our FML moderator makes available

-- Sukie (not a vet but I look stuff up as situations permit)
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth (a co-moderator)
http://www.ferretcongress.org (one of the advisors)