From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 17:32:52 -0400
Mary posts that the certificate she saw for some pet store ferrets indicated
they were shipped at 5-6 weeks old.  This agrees with what I have seen in a
local shop that posts the Marshall's certificate on the side of the cage.

According to MF's own paperwork (at least that I've seen), they are grouped
by week born, Sunday - Saturday, and are shipped the week after the youngest
ones turn 5 weeks.  Those shipped early in the week will be just over 5 to
just over 6 weeks old, those shipped later in the week are almost 6 to
almost 7 weeks.

Some shops put them out for sale immediately, some keep them in the back a
few days.  Some shops moisten their food, some do not.  A 5 week old ferret
is uncoordinated in its movements and may have a great deal of difficulty
with hard food.  Adult teeth don't appear until 7-8 weeks.

I forgot who posted a little bit ago that a Marshall rep said they ship at
6-8 weeks.  Their own paperwork contradicts that.

I don't begrudge Marshall Farms their desire to run a business and make a
profit.  I do wish we could collectively find a way to convince them it is
better in the long run for them, the ferrets and their owners, if they keep
the kits with their mothers for just a few more days.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter West
"The Raisin Retreat"
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html