From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:11:06 -0400
Hi

>One more thing: I think that show judges in the shows by any group should
>be able to disqualify ferrets which show malformations or known genetic
>problems except from the handicapped categories.  That would even extend
>to having ALL disqualified and if such things existed.  IT WOULD PROMOTE
>IMPROVED HEALTH IN FERRETS!

I'm glad to say that the AFA does disqualify ferrets who have genetic
problems from competing in championship rings.  See the AFA's Exhibitor
Guidebook online at http://www.ferret.org/AFAExhibitorsGuidebook.htm or
download a PDF copy at http://www.ferret.org/AFAExhibitorsGuidebook.pdf
Look under the "Restrictions" section.

The only "genetic problem" ferrets that are permitted in show rings are
those ferrets displaying a Waardenburg pattern.  In my opinion, it is time
that we consider whether these patterns should be encouraged, but that's
only my opinion.

When I serve as an AFA judge, I am especially interested in rewarding
healthy ferrets with great maintenance and great temperaments. : )  I know
many of my fellow judges share these sentiments, but I'll let them speak
for themselves.

>Let's put health, longevity, and ferret personality FIRST!  Other stuff is
>just so much noise.

My sentiments exactly!  A healthy, happy, loving ferrets is by far the most
beautiful. <g>

Best wishes and happy ferreting,
Regina Hart, AFA Licensed Judge