From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:44:21 -0500
A lot of ferret owners have the same problem I face: a horrid lack of
free time.  For me, this means I have to make whatever enrichments I
have time to do the best possible ones for my ferrets.  I simply do not
have time to waste giving ineffective enrichments when my ferrets NEED
effectual ones.  Since extremely little research has been done on the
enrichment needs of captive pet ferrets, how can I determine the
ferret's problem areas--the ones I should spend the most time on--if
I want their enrichment program to be efficient AND effective?

The answer is modeling; that is, to use the research on other animals,
either those that are closely related, or those with similar lifeways
to model the enrichment needs of domesticated ferrets.  In terms of
enrichment, while the model may not be absolutely perfect, we can be
reasonably sure it is close enough for our purposes (we are not talking
about rocket science, folks).  There are two such species that have
tremendous value for domesticated ferrets--both having their enrichment
needs researched (at least to some degree) and both having the research
published so the information is readily available.  These two species
are the dwarf mongoose and the black-footed ferret, species where the
enrichments needs have been studied for conservation or zoological
display purposes.  While dwarf mongooses are members of the Viveridae and
black-footed ferrets are members of the Mustelidae, a close comparison of
enrichment needs of both species show they are nearly identical.  Because
of the extremely close relationship between the black-footed ferret and
the domesticated ferret, *I* consider their enrichment needs virtually
identical; it follows that the needs of the dwarf mongoose can be used
to model the needs of ferrets.  There are some studies on polecats (IF
they can be obtained, and IF you can have them translated as I have!),
and a close scrutiny of those findings support the applicability of dwarf
mongoose and black-footed ferret studies towards the enrichment needs of
domesticated ferrets.

How exactly are these species physical, physiological, and emotional
needs for enrichment met?  A lot of them are met by housing the animal
in a caged environment that approximates the COMPLEXITY of a natural
environment, either by providing an enclosure that contains natural
objects (as seenin the dwarf mongoose photos), or by simulating such
complexity using clearly artificial items, such as cinder blocks,
artificial scents, hay, treat "browse", dryer tubing, etc.  Remember
the statement that complexity is closely associated with clutter?  Try
to find a natural forest or grasslands environment that lacks clutter;
you won't, and it is unlikely you can find such a complex environment
lacking clutter within a ferret's home as well.

Complexity, novelty, and randomness are important, but what systems in
the ferret should be stimulated, and how should it be done?  Based on
studies done on dwarf mongooses, black-footed ferrets, polecats, and my
own work with domesticated ferrets, here are at least EIGHT different
areas that should be at least periodically enriched: Intelligence,
Memory, Problem Solving, Odor, Vision, Taste, Hearing, and Touch.

Bob C