From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:21:02 EST
Yesterday, I visited a local wildlife rehabilitation center.  It was an
amazing place; squirrels, fawns, pot-bellied pigs, turtles, eagles, owls,
wolves (yes, wolves and I petted one!!), possums, iguanas, lots of other
animals, and a ferret!  They nurse sick and injured wildlife back to health
and then release them back into the wild.  They also sometimes end up with
domesticated animals and find homes for them.  Since this is a college town,
there is a real problem with students moving out and abandoning their
animals.  The one ferret they had was already promised to someone, much to
my husband's relief.  He had belonged to a man who wasn't feeding it so the
rehab center took him.  He was skin and bones when they got him.  When I saw
him yesterday, he was sweet and fat and happy.  He didn't try to nip me at
all, just snuggled.

Anyway, to get to the point, the director asked me if I could help them when
they get ferrets, as in nurse them in my home.  I told him that I would be
glad to do that.  Last night, I started thinking about it and decided that
you could help me by advising me on the things I need to be concerned about
bringing a stray ferret into my 4-ferret home.  I'm not concerned with
socialization issues but more about diseases, etc.  For example, what should
I do if no one knows if the ferret has had its shots?  Should I have it
vaccinated?  Would it be a good idea to routinely take a stray to the vet
before taking it home?  My vets are the primary doctors for the center so I
think they would charge little, if any, for taking care of the strays.  You
get the drift of my questions.  I think you shelter operators out there
could give me some help.  I want to help the little ones get healthy and
into good homes but I will not jeopardize the health of my own babies.  Just
keep in mind that these are temporary visitors who will hopefully be adopted
out to good homes.  If not, I guess I get to keep them!!!

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and assistance.

     Katharine
Lily (who just had an adrenalectomy last week and is doing great!),
Lany, Blaze, and Champ