From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 21:47:43 -0400
Chester & Rockie:

You should clip nails about every two weeks.  If the nails get much longer
than that, they have a tendency to shred on the inside curve, which makes it
much easier for them to get caught (on bedding, carpet, etc.) If you're not
around to rescue, this could mean a ripped out toenail or worse.

Scruffing does not hurt the ferret.  For most fuzzies it's the "off" button,
the time when you can clean ears and check teeth.  I used to do the "scruff
and clip" method of nails, but frankly, it's one helluva lot easier to
squirt a few drops of linatone on their bellies and clip madly while they
lick.  Less blood due to quick-cutting and they think you're pretty great
for giving them a treat.

Steven and Lillith:
I've been through insulinoma before, and although I hated to medicate my
boor Ian-bean, it did help regulate his system.  Go on the Pred, and you
should see a definite improvement.

As far as care, Ian had his first insulinoma surgery in July 1992.  He was
given 8-14 mos.  He had his *second* surgery May 1994, and passed away
January of 1995.  The trick?  We used the blood glucose home tests for
people and monitored his blood every month.  I'm not saying these tests are
perfect, or that they should even be used, but when his sugar came out low I
knew to keep more of an eye on him.

You know, I tried to feed Ian duck soup, and he didn't like it either. I
thought he must be the only ferret in the world like that!

Truly, the best thing you can do, is to let Lillith live her life happily,
including letting her back with her sister and brother. The pred will help
her appetite. That's all we did for Ian, and he beat the odds by years.

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra