From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:37:01 -0400
On Jun 22, 2005, at 3:30 AM, Rachel wrote:
>I guess my question is how do you encourage a couch-potato ferret to
>exercise?

I gotta share this.  I, too, have a somewhat couch-potato ferret named
Frankie -- he's the cautious but determined type, and doesn't barrel
around like the others.  But he does like to explore.  Tonight, he got
out of the ferret-safe area.  Before I could catch him, he climbed into
the (disconnected) woodstove and covered himself with ashes.

So I grabbed him and brought him to the shower.  (I should also mention
that Frankie is also the only one who studiously avoids water.  Every one
else likes to come into the mist of the shower (though only one actually
likes the direct spray)).  He got a thorough shampooing, something that
rarely happens with him.  Afterwards, I wrapped the struggling furball
in a towel and rubbed him damp-dry.  And let him go.

It was "instant insanity -- just add water".  He dooked and raced and
pounced and threw himself convulsively on anything fabric or plastic, and
on/at the other weasels.  He was outdancing the youngest girl, who is
pretty extreme herself -- it was all she could do to keep up with him,
and boy was she confused!

This went on for about 15 minutes, before he finally slowed down to
something resembling a normal weasel.  And it was another 15 minutes
before he became his normal sedate self.

So have you tried shampooing your couch-potato? It might do wonders!

Claire
Frankie the Frantic Fert (normally Lord Franklin the Explorer), Sam,
Missy, and Lilo.