From:
David Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 19:08:07 -0800
   "What is that?"  Rosie questioned as they approached a curious shape in
the sky ahead that was shining headlights down on the ground below.
   "It must be a U.F.O.!!!"  Sammi shouted.
   "Does that mean Uninformed Ferrets Of course?"  Santa asked.
   "Hey,"  Wiggles stated.  "That wasn't very nice, Santa!"
   "Sorry,"  Santa replied.  "Just poking some fun at you!  That indeed
looks to be a helicopter up ahead!"
   "What is it doing?"  Maxie asked.
   "Let's find out!"  Shiva yelled, and they flew directly towards the
whirly-bird.  As soon as they got close enough, they saw flashes of light
coming from the open side-door to the craft.
   "Hey!"  Rosie said.  "What is that?"
   "Look!"  Maxie exclaimed.  "The helicopter is chasing something on the
ground!  It looks like an animal!"
   "Oh dear,"  Santa remarked.  "They are hunting wolves..."
   "What?!!"  Shiva shouted.  "We have to stop them from hurting the poor
creature!"
   "Woah!"  Wiggles said as a bullet nearly hit her head.  "They are
shooting at us now!"
   "Time to put an end to this funny business!"  Santa declared.  "Take us
in close to the helicopter, girls..."
   "What do we do now?"  Sammi asked as they got really close to the hunters.
   "A little present for the sportsmen should show them the spirit of
Christmas!"  Santa pronounced as he retrieved a cylindrical object from his
bag of gifts, and threw it into the open doorway of the helicopter.
   "Woah!"  Sammi exclaimed as she watched the greenish smoke fill the
cabin of the craft.
   "Man,"  Maxie announced.  "That smoke stinks!"
   "Yes indeed!"  Santa stated, as he watched the helicopter make an
emergency landing on the ground.  The men inside jumped out of the doorway
quickly, cursing and yelling obsenities.
   "What was that stuff?"  Rosie asked, giggling profusely.
   "A stink bomb,"  Santa answered.  "Of course."
   "Hey,"  Shiva declared.  "What happened to the wolf?"
   "Let's go find it!"  Sammi said.
   "Yes,"  Wiggles agreed.  "We must see if it is okay!"
   "Sounds like a good idea,"  Santa stated, and they flew off in the
direction that the wolf was running when they had last seen it.
   "There it is!"  Rosie announced, pointing towards a stand of trees.
   "Take us down,"  Santa commanded.
   "Okay,"  Sammi said.  They landed the sleigh next to the wolf, who was
panting heavily, it's eyes filled with terror.
   "Took you guys long enough to save me!"  The wolf stated.
   "Fang!!!"  The ferrets yelled, dooking in joy, smothering their friend
with hugs and kisses.
   "I figured that it was you guys pulling Santa's sleigh!"  Fang shouted.
   "Why's that?"  Santa asked.
   "These five are crazy little rascals!"  Fang answered.  "Did they tell
you about their "Big Adventure" in the woods?"
   "Why, no!"  Santa declared.  "What is this business all about?"
   "We'll tell you later..."  Maxie provided.  "It's a long story!"
   "Yeah,"  Fang replied, chuckling.  "I hear that you published your
adventure in a paperback!  Pretty good story, even though I wasn't as mean
as you said I was!"
   "How did you get a copy of our "Big Adventure?"  Rosie stated.  "You
don't even have a mailbox!"
   "Your Otter friend showed me a copy,"  Fang replied.  "He just showed
up one day out of nowhere and hung out with me for a few days.  The
wolf-hunters here are getting pretty out of control!  I can't wait until
your humans in the lower forty-eight get some good legislation passed that
outlaws this deadly life I live!  Three of my good wolf friends got shot
last week alone!  Otter gave me some magical medicine stuff that I gave them
to drink and their wounds healed in a couple of days."
   "So it is still tough living here in Alaska?"  Shiva asked.
   "It's allright,"  Fang answered.  "I have a little woman and a few
furballs in the den back at home!"
   "Wow!"  Sammi exclaimed.  "Fang is a daddy!"
   "Yeah,"  Fang said.  "But don't let anyone know...they'll think that
I'm going soft or something!  So, you girls are helping Santa Claus?"
   "Correct,"  Wiggles confirmed.
   "Yes,"  Santa added.  "And I might as well give you your gift now that
we have run into you, Mr. Fang."
   "What is this supposed to be?"  Fang asked, looking with wonder at the
metal, chain-linked garment that Santa handed him from his bag.
   "It is a bullet-proof coat for you to wear!"  Santa declared.
   "Woah,"  Fang replied.  "Thanks, Santa!"  Fang jumped up and down and
howled like a pup!
   "I had the elves make one for every wolf out here in the dangerous
tundra!  I DO read the newspapers, you know!  I am well aware of the
hardships brought upon your species!  Go ahead, try it on...How does it fit?"
   "Like a glove,"  Fang responded, slipping into the lightweight suit.
"Thanks again!  This has turned out to be a great Christmas after all!"
   "We must be going,"  Santa said.  "We have many more gifts to deliver!"
   "Goodbye, Fang!!!"  The ferret girls shouted in one chorus.
   "Take care of yourselves, and merry Christmas!"  Fang replied, and ran
off into the trees.
   "Off we go again!"  Sammi stated as they launched the sleigh into the
brisk, December air of the northern hemisphere.

     (to be continued, see http://home.aol.com/wildsidepu for the rest of
the story!)