From:
Emma Stretton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:11:20 -0700
I would like to make a slight addition to Kathy's post of yesterday
regarding her comments:

>From:    Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
>"Members of our local ferret club found it offensive, and many still
> haven't seen it."

I would like to insert the word "Some" in from of "Members." In fact, if I
remember rightly, I believe there was only one person who had actually seen
it, and that person was the offended person.  Thinking about it, to say
offended is pushing it - she was actually reporting on the action that one
of our local PetCo's had taken by removing the magazine from it's shelves.
These comments are in no way meant to be rude Kathy - I just wanted to
stick the "Some" in there!

Personally, I would much prefer to have the oportunity to BE offended at
something than have the "offending" item(s) removed (can we say
"censored?") before I even get a chance to see it and form my own opinion.

And this is just pure pickiness, but your comment "and many still haven't
seen it" irked me.  It doesn't make us sound very rational!  We hadn't seen
anything, but were offended anyway?!  I find it hard to believe that people
could find something offensive without actually seeing it, but I can fully
understand that they may find the IDEA of what they THINK they are going to
see offensive.

I went out (to Borders, as PetCo had removed the magazine...) and purchased
MF #24 after the meeting - to say my curiosity was aroused would be an
understatement - and eagerly awaited the shocking pictures.

Honestly?  I was disappointed.  I'd built up an image of what I was going
to see in the centre fold, and it didn't live up to my expectations.  I
wanted something to be offended at too (indignant stamp of foot,) but it
just wasn't there.

If the magazine had been the July issue with a centre fold as was in the
HALLOWEEN issue, then I would have ben thinking "What the...?" But if you
take the Halloween issue in the context of Halloween, then there really was
nothing in there to get offended about.  I mean heck - people on this list
have said nastier things to one another than anything I saw in this months
MF, so BIG - when can we expect you to shut down the list?!

Anyhoo, this is by no means meant to be a nasty retort to your mail Kathy.
It's just that as a member of the club mentioned by you, and one who was
not offended (as no-one bought a copy of MF to the meeting for me to see to
get offended at,) I wanted to state that not everyone there was up in arms
over MF #24 as was implied by your post.  That's all!

Emma - who loves ferrets, but couldn't eat a whole one.