From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:56:13 -0400
Hi all!

We like to take our 5 girls down my parents house at times, but it is far
from "ferret-proofed".  During the warmer months, we spend most of our time
outside while visiting my parents.  We've been leaving the girls at home
because their travel bag is too small to leave them in for any extended
period of time.  So what I thought of was perhaps a portable baby crib
(looks like a babt crib, except the sides are made of mesh instead of bars)
or a playpen to keep them in while we're there.  We could set it up on the
porch or even in the living room for about an hour.  It would be bigger than
their cage, and also easy to fold up and store.  Of course I'd have to come
up with a make-shift cover to keep them inside.  Some of the portable cribs
I've seen have a built-in insect mesh that can be zippered around the top,
or I've even thought of soft screen that I can velcro to the top.  My
concern is more so with the mesh on both set-ups.  I know the power of their
digging (I should say my CARPET knows).  I wouldn't want them to rip through
the mesh to get out.  The only thing that keeps me hoping is that if they
were to dig, chances are it would be on the floor of the playpen/crib where
it isn't mesh.

I was just wondering before I invested in a playpen or a portable crib
if any of you have tried this method and could share your experience.
Or if anyone has another thought.  Remember, it has to be easily
"storable" and also lage enough to house 5 ferrets for an hour or two.

Mish & Kenny & the 5 kids.