From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 11:47:26 -0400
>Sleeping with ferrets
When we first started our ferret family, we always had ferrets sleeping in
our bed.  They'd usually join us after midnight and get up to play sometime
during the night.  That I know, because at 5:30 every morning (half an hour
before the alarm went off ) we'd hear the thundering herd running up the
stairs, then they'd hop in our bed.

Val would clean my ears, while Spook cleaned my eyelids until they were sure
I was awake.  By then we had at least 4-5 of the group of (then) 8 ferrets
wanting me up and playing with them.

The only problems we ever had was when Bud chewed a hole in the water
matress, and later when Garf decided toes were his favorite morning snack.
We got a quilted "bag" for the new water matress, so we haven't had a water
matress 'kill' since.  Garf still likes toes though.

We now have an in-home shelter and upward of 30 ferrets at any one time.
Our own crew has grown to 17.  We now put them in a large ferret condo at
night; but I sure do miss having them curl up on my pillow at night

>Vaccine Reactions:
We lost one of our charges last week.  Massive internal bleeding.  She had
received her distemper vaccination two days previously.  We're not sure that
there is a relation between the vaccination and this sudden death.

Please remember that we've probably had over 500 - 600 distemper
vaccinations given.  The risk of any reaction is small, but you must watch
for them.  Most reactions take place in the first few minutes.  Symptoms
may be retching/vommiting, loss of bowel control, pale nose and gums, and
very low blood pressure.  Or, the reaction can show up as bright red skin,
fur 'poofing' , retching/vomiting, loss of bowel control and difficulty
breathing.

Stay at your vet's office for at least 30 minutes following either the
distemper or rabies vaccination.  Keep an eye on your ferret the rest of the
day.  Sometimes (rarely) these reactions will occur an hour or more
afterward.  These delayed reactions may also include internal
hemorrhaging-black or bloody stool.

For a very few ferrets we've seen similar symptoms occurring almost exactly
two days following the vaccinations; two of those died.  Because this latter
'reaction' is so rare, I can't be sure that the death was related to the
vaccination.  Dr. Dutton has sent tissue samples to Dr. Williams for
examination.  We are hoping that he can shed some light on this death.

Please, please don't imply that I'm warning you against vaccinations.  The
vaccinations save more ferret lives than would ever be lost to vaccine
reactions.  Just keep it in mind that you have to keep an extra close eye on
your ferret for several days afterward, just to make sure.

Dick B.