From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 10:11:21 -0400
    Getting caught up on the mail again.  Re anthropomorphism, thanks Rudi,
good comments!!
    I think the point being made in the book that I referred to in my post
was not that we can assume that animals are like us, and that therefore we
can apply the same rationale.  It was more that 'sometimes' emotions can be
a convenient shorthand for describing some observed behaviors in animals,
and that this in turn may lead to further insights not otherwise available.
    So say the authors who are a Psychologist and a Bioligist.  My
experience with Psych is a couple of courses more that twenty years ago,
but my impression is that (like economists) they tend to create some fairly
elaborate theories based on assumptions made from observations.  Whether or
not this is real SCIENCE as in the engineering sense, I'll leave to others.
The authors do use some good examples and I think that it is a provacative
book.
    Re Squeekers, well night before last it was one thirty AM again, and
then this morning he waited for me to come downstairs on my own around four
thirty.  The clock, as far as I know, hasn't changed.  If we ever come
close to understanding these guys, it won't be on our terms.
-------------
    Concerning the latest HSUS business, I think that it is very important
to remember to seperate and attack the (misguided) ideas that a person has,
from the person themself.  Many people are really terrified of small
animals, especially those who tend to be quite active.  Sure, ferrets are
not for everyone, but they are for SOME people and forty seven states have
said that it is up to each person to decide this for themselves.
    Rachael Lamb apparently believed that ferrets were a threat, CBS
certainly erred by accepting her statements at face value for a story, and
maybe some of the rest of us even erred by not making our points strongly,
well, or early enough to the right people.  IMO it is essential for most
listeners to have a favorable impression of the speaker before that person's
idea or point of view is to be even considered seriously, let alone
accepted.  This is especially important when dealing with those who hold
power and offer permission or legitimacy.  If we let our emotions show we
risk being branded as kooks, or seen as a threat, and not taken seriously.
A few people with forceful and well expressed arguements will beat an angry
mob any day of the week.
------------
    To Pam: This is good that HSUS is now trying to find a way out of the
mess, but their letter totally ignores their support of the statements made
by Hattie Kaufman and Michelle Bowers as being representative of the wider
truth.  I would suggest that Rachael and others at HSUS first watch Ferrets
Unmasked, spend some time with some ferrets, and then go to a ferret frolic
and talk to some owners.  Only at that point would they be in a position to
begin drafting a statement that would mean anything to them.
------------
    To Dr.  Williams: Congratulations, congratulations !!!  Can't even say
that your change from being 'hands on' involved is a loss for us.  I am sure
that the people that you have trained for Accupath will carry on, leaving
you free to grow and do even more in the future.
    As you say 'there does come a time', and I would add that not everyone
is able like you are to recognize this.  We are extremely fortunate to have
had someone with your good humor and intelligence with us for as long as we
did.  I am sure that we will be even better off in the future to have the
benefits of your publishing and teaching.  Also that you will continue to
stop in from time to time to drop us a note and set everything straight as
always, with a word from the top.