From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:57:35 -0500
In reading the fml I noted a question on fat ferrets.... so is fat really
fat??

The reason I pose this seemingly absurd question is this-- in the
experiences here at the shelter, we have seen FAT ferrets.  Namely ferrets
caged for month after month with adequate food and no excercise.  Healthy
fat?  no, not hardly, one in particular had rolls of fat in front of and
behind it's shoulders , but the ferret over a five month period -- without
cutting back food -- and with INCREASING out of cage activity-- (first a
very short burst-- then longer and prompted interactive running play) the
ferret lost weight, and there is no permanent heart condition.  It has been
3 years since that ferret went to it's adoptive home and he is in great
shape still!!!

I also know some folks who after adopting one ferret -- took another of
their ferrets to a local vet--- because the male weighed 3 1/2 lbs the vet
insisted the ferret was overweight ... wanted to put it on Science Diet for
overweight!!

Not in the least was this particular ferret fat.  It seems some vets cannot
judge differences in ferret body types and this was the case.  The first
ferret was a thin whippet, the second a bulldog with dense muscles-- so the
first thing is to make sure the vet realizes there ARE DIFFERENCES and not
every ferret needs to be long and lean.

If you indeed feel your ferret is fat, first try increasing the out of cage
time, and do some interactive play, if this doesn't work, then a vet visit
to determine whether the ferret is overweight or has a health condition
would be indicated.

We have seen many ferrets who seem to be fat, when in reality they have
cardiomyopathy and the body is filling with fluids.  A regimen of meds adn
lasix makes a world of difference in a short time for these cases!!

Happy ferreting!!
Alicia
a shelter MOm
And now abideth faith, hope, love,