From:
Norris Harber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 13:11:19 EST
Hi y'all,

I don't have much time, but I thought I'd throw in what I have learned
about ferrets and allergies.  My roommate in college had ferrets and at
that time I had NO problem whatsoever with being allergic to them.
When Mark and I moved into the apartment, we both wanted a pet but I
knew my cat allergy would be a problem and there was definately not
enough room for a dog.  Mark kept talking about chinchillas, but then I
showed him a ferret in a pet store and he fell in LOVE.  We looked
around at a few stores (we didn't know about the evils of pet stores
then. I promise, we won't do it again), and Mark noticed that whenever
I played with a ferret I would get red-itchy hives.  I was in denial
and told him I would acclimate to the little guys in no time.  So we
got them, and within a few months I had asthma.

My doctor tells me that you can't be allergic to something you've never
been in contact with before, so over the 5 years or so between the time
I first lived with ferrets and the second, my body had time to record
that ferret dander was a vile, evil, life-threatening substance that
had to be expelled at any cost (silly body).  Right now, the doctor has
me on a cortazone inhaler that helps prevents problems and another
inhaler to stop the asthma once an attack has come on.

If I keep the guys out of the bedroom and keep the cage fairly clean I
do better (and the air purifier in the bedroom helps a lot).  And I
think I do better when we wash the little guys more often, but we
haven't seemed to get around to that for quite a few months, now
(except when Gunther got into the fiberglass insulation under the
stove), and there was all that talk about how its better not to give
them baths . . .

Actually today I have an appointment with the HMO doctor for the first
time, and I am a little worried that they'll refuse to treat me since I
could just get rid of the fuzzies and the problem will be gone.  But
since I believe the emotional benefits I get from them, out weigh any
physical problems, I'm not letting them go.  So, we'll see.

Just a little personal news, Gunther has a big itchy bald spot on his
butt and is very skinny (but has tons and tons of energy!).  He's going
back to the vet on Wednesday.  Nico has the softest, lush-est, winter
coat I have ever seen!!!  She feels just like a rabbit and looks about
100% thicker than last summer.  Her coat wasn't this nice last year.
Are ferrets like fruit trees and some years are better than others?
Ozzie actually slept in our laps New Year's Eve for almost 30
minutes!!!  She woke up when we held her up to see the ball come down.
She is becoming the sweetest little thing.  AND, we just put in an
offer on a house in Wilmington, DE.  I dont know if we'll get it, but
does anyone happen to know the legal status there?  I figure I'll call
the authorites and post what I find out.

I've got to go, now.  How can they expect me to work when I've got so
much on my mind?  They are so pushy around here.

Norris (Mom)

(for Mark (Dad), Gunther, Nico, and Ozzie (babies who may soon get their OWN
 room or at least stairs to play on!))