From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 01:28:35 -0500
There is a movie promo, I can't remember which one, which goes "Be afraid.
Be very afraid." I am now into the third week of clincial research on the
Green Diarrhea and am seeing first hand what this agent can do.

EVerything is in very preliminary stages, but I have been collecting fresh
samples for a week now.  Some of the information that I have put out before
this is being revised based on what I am seeing in my ferrets now.  Two things
of special note that I want to mention tonight.

1)  This agent (the microbiiolgists will start trying to isolate it on Monday)
is far more contagious than we had previously thought.  We are using material
from an outbreak in Michigan.  It does NOT require direct contact.  THIS AGENT
CAN BE EASILY TRANSMITTED ON CLOTHING FROM A PERSON TO ANOTHER FERRET.  I now
take two showers between the time I leave the facility and when I get home.

2)  Vomiting is an early sign of disease, where previously we thought itwas not.
80% of the infected ferrets vomit as the first sign of the disease.  I think
the information we got from people undergoing outbreaks was in error, but then
again, I am especially looking for it and the cages that we are using - smooth
white plastic cages catch everything.

My best characterization of the early signs of the disease are vomiting,
follwed by lethargy, diminished food intake, and a "drwosy" appearance.  We
have seen no changes in blood values in acute cases.

Realize that all of this is very preliminary data and we need much more time
to analyze what we are seeing.  I am trying to keep everyone apprised however,
of pertinent new information as we see it.  I am currently receiving a lot of
phone calls from other veterinarians and several government agencies,
including those working with the black-footed ferrets to share their
experiences, get more informations, and in some cases, offer assistance.  Ther
have even been calls from companies who would like to develop a vaccine once
we isolate the agent.

Now that we have fresh material to work with, I am confident that we wil l
isolate this agent, Until then, I will continue to keep eveyone apprised of
what is going on.

Finally, although I am putting out some very disturbing news here, I don 't
want everyone to panic just yet.  Remember, that in most cases, this is a
non-life-threatening disease, and that it is treatable.  The best way to
prevent your ferrets from contraccting this disease is not to allow them
contact with other ferrets.  I am being extremely careful with my own ferrets.
Please be as careful with yours.

Bruce Williams (202) 782-2600   [log in to unmask]