From:
Jason & Alison Overstreet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:47:59 -0500
Hello all!
We just want to thank everyone again who is helping us find a home for our
"friend's friend's ferret." It is really very touching to know that there
are others out there who care about animals, especially ferrets =), as much
as we do!  We hope this situation will work out for the best and will keep
you posted as we find out more...

Now, we have one more concern...while on vacation in northeastern
Pennsylvania last week, we were at a "roadside market" that sold plants,
produce, gifts, and pets!  The man who runs this store has birds, hamsters,
bunnies, some more exotic pets, and one ferret.  This poor little female
ferret was 4 mons.  old and was in _poor_ living conditions.  Her water
bottle was empty, her food bowl was empty except for one bone-shaped piece
(which led us to believe it was a cheap brand of dog or cat food), and there
were cedar shavings under the tiny metal cage (approx.  3'x 2').  She only
had this 8" cardboard tube hanging in the cage to play/sleep in.  The man
seemed nice enough, and said she is very gentle when he takes her out of her
cage.  Jason and I didn't know how to approach telling him that he wasn't
taking care of her properly.  We honestly felt he was a good man, but he has
_no_ idea how to care for a ferret.  What's even scarier is that someone
might buy her and think that is how you take care of a ferret.

We are kicking ourselves that we didn't speak up more about her living
conditions.  (I filled her water bottle myself before we left.) We didn't
know how to approach this man without offending him, but still want to help
the ferret.  Is there anyone out there in Pennsylvania who runs a shelter or
ferret club that could maybe send this man some information about taking
care of a ferret?  If you e-mail us, we can give you the name of the
roadside market, the 2 main roads and small town where it is located.  We
don't know the exact address, but maybe you'll have more luck than we did.

Jason and I were so close to taking the poor little girl!  We have 3 of our
own, and just found out today that our Oliver (just over a year old) has the
early signs of adrenal disease.  We are worried sick about him now and hope
he will be OK.  Lucky for us that we have a terrific vet who is very
knowledgeable and understanding about ferrets!  If anyone would like to
e-mail us with any more thoughts or info.  about adrenal disease and/or
surgery to remove it, please do...we would love to hear from you!  I have
been reading up on it from the Ferret Central, Ferret World, etc.  to find
out as much as we can!

Thanks again everyone...you are all the best!

Alison and Jason Overstreet