Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:59:45 EDT
Hello everyone,

We've decided that AB 409 must be fought in the Senate Natural Resources
Committee and fought hard.  What this terrible bill would do is replace
each use of the word wild in section 2116 with the word restricted (clearly
enlarging the mandate of the Fish and Game Commission).  It would give the
Fish and Game Commission the authority to regulate a domesticated species
(it specifies "any domesticated or captive-bred species" and it is aimed
90% at the ferret enthusiasts.

It would also allow the Commission the authority to delist or legalize an
animal (something they already have the right to do), but only if it can
be shown that there would be no impact on the environment, people or
agriculture.  Few if any domesticated species meets that criteria though
the ferret comes closest, certainly closer than dogs and cats.

Fight this bill Californians or it will cut off your opportunity to see a
legislative solution to this problem.

All of you (Californians) should write to the Chairman of the Committee, Tom
Hayden:

His address and tel number is: (916) 445-1353

Senator Tom Hayden, Chair
Senate Natural Resources Committee
State Capitol, Room 2082
Sacramento, CA 95814

Be polite and only contact them once-- have friends and family contact the
office as well.

These are the other members of the Committee.  If you are in their district
you must contact them and get as much opposition to the bill as possible
from friends and family.  Our webmaster, Scott Beisner, will post
information that helps you know the areas that these Senators cover.  To
write to the Senators simply print their name and room number accompanied
by the following:

Senator_______
State Capitol
Room number_____
Sacramento, CA 94814

Here are the other Senators on the Committee and their room numbers:

Senator Dede Alpert, Room 2187
Senator Maurice Johannessen, Room 5061
Senator Tim Leslie, Room 4081
Senator Dick Monteith, Room 2048
Senator Jack O'Connell, Room 5035
Senator Byron Sher, Room 2054
Senator Mike Thompson, Room 3056

Please write to Senator Hayden only if you are a Californian, and write to
the other Senators only if you are in their districts.  Our webmaster will
post information on the coverage of those districts.

THE HEARING IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR JULY 1st, so your prompt attention
is required.  I will be out of the office Thursday and Friday so if you
have specific questions please ask our webmaster, at [log in to unmask]

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!