From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:18:21 -0400
Bob had many excellent points to consider before starting a shelter.  I'm
going to disagree with one of them:

>1. IF there is a shelter in your area (say, 50 miles or so), DO NOT open
>a second one!

It IS possible for nearby shelters to work cooperatively together.  I've
done it.  In fact, I believe any major metropolitan area probably needs
at least two shelters to adequately deal with the number of ferrets
needing rehoming.

But it IS important to remember that running a shelter is NOT a
competition.  The goal is to find homes for ferrets, not to adopt out
or take in more than the other guy.  When I had my shelter, I would
sometimes refer people to another shelter if that one was closer or
more likely to have what the adopter was looking for, and vice versa.
We sometimes moved ferrets from one shelter to the other for various
reasons.  Ferrets from the other shelter sometimes spent a few days at
my house as my local vet charged far less for neuters/spays.  We worked
together on educational and fund-raising events at pet stores.

You can work cooperatively with another shelter even if you have
different ways of running things, different standards, different
procedures and policies.  And even if you don't necessarily cooperate,
you can still operate without "competing".  The key is respect for your
fellow shelterer.

If you want to hear more ways to help without necessarily becoming a
shelter yourself, I invite you to attend Pam Troutman's presentation at
the 2003 International Ferret Congress in Atlanta, October 3-5.  Her
topic is Sheltering in the 21st Century - Practical Applications and
Pitfalls.

For more information on the Symposium, go to
http://www.ferretcongress.org

Linda Iroff
Shelter operator 1996-1999