From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:33:29 -0400
Although older this still applies to mammals. You can find later
studies in PubMed. BTW, years ago we knew some ferrets with permanent
lung damage who had been housed with cedar.

http://www.trifl.org/cedar.shtml

Some segments on cedar:
>The primary irritant in cedar is plicatic acid and western red
>cedar contains the highest concentrations although eastern white
>cedar (Thuja occidentalis) and Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria
>japonica) also contain it. Exposure to plicatic acid can cause or
>exacerbate asthma, rhinitis or conjunctivitis in humans and in
>animals, and the damage can be progressive.
>Can asthma caused by exposure to wood products be reversed? In the
>studies of occupational asthma among sawmill workers, the condition
>vanishes in 50% or fewer cases when exposure stops. The remaining
>individuals experience intermittent attacks or continued chronic
>airway restriction that can persist for years or indefinitely
>In one experimental study, bronchial hypersensitivity lasting two
>weeks was observed after an individual with red-cedar asthma
>received a single exposure to plicatic acid

Pine, BTW, is usually more of an allergy aspect.  Many ferrets are
fine with it but there have been some who go into anaphylactic shock
around it.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
Recommended ferret health links: