From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 10:58:55 -0500
        Even though I agree that ferrets which spend their entire lives
indoors and *never* contact any other warmblooded animals -bats, squirrels,
mice or rats, or even rabid humans - are a very low risk for contracting
rabies. Unfortunately, even "indoor" animals occasionally become
"outdoor" animals temporarily when someone forgets to shut the door or
window or when the pet slips of the leash on the way to the vet clinic.
"Outdoor" animals can become "indoor" animals, too. Bats, mice, rats, and
squirrels all have been known to enter human dwellings. Houses are flimsy
barriers to the outside world and its perils. I often hear the term
"inside" pet as though there is a magical force field around the animal
protecting it from disease, when IMHO the only magical force field is
proper vaccination.
        As a technician for a large animal hospital, I know that my
collegues would be more likely to push for a rabies test following a bite
from a ferret which has *not* been vaccinated for rabies. Pet ferrets are
*definitely* safer being vaccinated than being unvaccinated in many ways.
        One of our arguments for legalization of ferrets in Massachusetts
is that more owners will be willing to vaccinate their pets if they feel
safe to bring them to the vet, thus reducing the rabies threat. As ferret
owners we should try to do everything possible to give our pets a good
reputation for not being a rabies threat...that means having them
properly vaccinated. Non-rabies vaccinated ferrets are just one more
reason for the authorities to condemn ferret owners as a public health risk.
Just my 2 cents worth...
                        Kari in Mass
P.S. Good news! I got an interview at Tufts Vet school next week!