From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:26:36 -0500
Council also adopted an ordinance that prohibits exotic pets, such as
reptiles, raccoons or porcupines, from living in homes or businesses
within its limits. The ordinance does not include ferrets or
pot-bellied pigs, so long as the ferrets are de-sprayed and both
types of animals are spayed, neutered and vaccinated.

from
<http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_1lehighton..6148094nov20,0,147226.story>

I don't know how they would know if they were descented since it tends
to NOT make a difference for neutered ones except when an scent gland
infection is present, or a rare big scare happens (and then it
dissapates rapidly). Besides, often the descented ones still have some
deeply placed scent glands present, having had some major farm ferrets
who were thought to be free of glands let go when scared or get scent
gland infections.

BTW, did you know that sometimes rather than show up at the anus an
infected scent gland in a ferret will cause a fistula and will drain
through the belly? The location is often near but not at the vulva in
a female ferret. (Other things which can happen near there include
apocrine problems.)

Okay, what is YOUR FUNNIEST story about a ferret letting loose with
scent?

About 26, maybe even close to 27 years ago Steve and I had Tandy in
an apartment and Steve had roller skis for his entertainment. One day
Tandy had discovered she could roll one of them around on the hardwood
floor. The doorbell rang and Steve rushed from our bedroom to the LR
with one of his size 15 feet (I know -- why does he even need skis?)
landing on the roller ski. He took off at a high rate of speed --
balancing on one careening roller ski -- straight toward Tandy. Tandy,
having weasel logic, stayed in place but turned tail, lifted same, and
sprayed. Steve did the only thing he could do for her safety: he made
himself fall.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: