From:
bronxelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:18:07 -0400
M Neal <[log in to unmask]> posted about:
>Subject: Marshall Farms Bashing/Shelters
>I really don't understand why there is so many negative things being said
>about MF.  I will probably anger some people but they don't appear to be
>some sort of monster to me.  They may sell ferret that are deamed too young.

And you don't see this is as a problem because...?

>But these ferrets are not shipped back to MF they are bought.

I don't even know of MF would *take* them back, based on that reason, or
what they would do with them if someone tried.  But the fact of the matter
is that most large pet chains simply don't *care* how young the kits are.
Or even realize that that's a bad thing.  I've seen ferrets mislabled for
age over and over again, and pet store employees who wouldnt know a *male*
from a *female* ferret(No kidding.  Seriously.), never mind how to even
reasonably determine the age of one.  Besides, younger often=cuter and that
means more cash for the pet shops.

>Many of you have posted about how you have fell in love with these little
>ones, even the Young ones and have taken them home.  Since MF is still
>selling ferrets w hy should they change any of thier policies?

I have four ferrets.  All of them from MF.  Each one had been shipped to the
pet store younger than the one before it(yes, there is a trend here...).
But within the same group they were all the same age, within a week.  And
when I finally got Niko(who was *TINY*.  My vet was shocked that he had been
shipped that small) I didn't take him home cause he was "so cute".  I took
him home because I knew that at least I had some experience with ferrets and
a good vet to help me out.  I didn't want him going to someone on an impulse
buy that had no clue what he/she was getting into.  Esp.  when I know the
pet store staff at this particular store barely knows enough about ferrets
to determine one's gender.

No comment on shelters, as I've never had any experience with a ferret
shelter, although all the shelter people from this list that have contacted
me privately about my ferrets have been very nice and genuinely trying to
help out.

And btw, for those who had been following the story, Rikki has been found.
He's dead.  You don't want to know.  Really.

that's the view from here,
elf.
bronxelf
Dominatrix at Arms and Guild Hall Lieutenant of the Renaissance Mercenaries
Guild.
A.F.R.  Goddess of Steel
http://www.i-2000.com/corwin/axi
"To err is human, to forgive is not our policy."    --Anonymous
"I believe pregnancy is a Sexually Transmitted Disease"- Me.

"I think I need my own satellite."-"Speaker of the Rock the House",
Chucklehead

The creativity of an elf knows no bounds.