From:
christine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:09:37 -0700
Ms. Goldberg,
I have read about an upcoming epidode regarding a cast member being
bitten by a ferret.

I do have some knowledge of television production so am aware I am asking
a very costly favor.  Please do not air the episode where the cast member
is sent to the ER after a ferret bite and becomes rabid.  Ferrets are
misunderstood domestic companion animals and have been for hundreds of
years.  Ferrets are intelligent,trainable,social,playful,affectionate
creatures who have NO more reson to bite than any other domestic pet.
They are gentle creatures who just happen to look different.

The ferret community is waging ongoing campaigns to have this
misunderstood and gentle animal legalized in ALL areas of the US.  Your
proposed program would only add to the misinfomation and general hysteria
(By certain ignorant politicians) regarding ferret ownership.

You program has the potential of setting our cause back by great lengths.

You have no more chance of catching rabies from your pet ferret than from
your pet kitty cat.

I am sure Ms. Goldberg and all involved to not want to contribue to
ridiculous stereotypes with ill informed show material.

At the very least,please put a large and readable disclaimer at the
beggining of your show that this is a comedy fictualization and in no way
reflects the reality of ferrets or ferret ownership...that you could just
as easily have used a pet dog or cat.

Try using a poodle as your comedy devise and see how big that goes over
with folks.

Sincerely,
Christine Herman
New York City