From:
"Kalafut, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:36:55 -0500
Hi, I am the secretary and shelter manager of the Greater Chicago Ferret
Association (GCFA).  The GCFA would like to thank S.O.S. for recently
sending a donation to help our vet bill.  This gift couldn't have been
timelier, as our vet bill is growing very steadily.  The GCFA has taken in
26 ferrets in the last two weeks alone (from at least 11 different people).
Plus we have 9 more ferrets coming in to the shelter tonight (we have no
choice, they will be put down if we don't go rescue them today), plus at
least four more coming in later this week.  Of the recent arrivals, 5
ferrets were confiscated from a home where all of the birds died because
the accumulated cat urine smell was too toxic for them.  One boy (Mutt)
came in with a tumor the size of a baseball behind his front leg (we had
the tumor removed).  Another little girl (Lil) had chewed her tail almost
off - she is at the vet at this moment getting it amputated.  We have
two boys with urinary blockages, one (Spike) will have adrenal surgery
tomorrow.  A lovely older girl (Cleo) is having an exploratory surgery
tomorrow to remove a blockage.  Another boy came in under the name of Satan
(a fear biter, we renamed him Jack (the ripper), he'll be OK soon with lots
of handling).  Then we got a pretty girl in who makes Jack look like a
saint.  However, we have also taken in some very wonderful ferrets that
would be a perfect addition to someone's household.  I am posting this
recent shelter activity because we are in great need of adopters and
volunteers.  Please check out our website at http://www.gcfa.com/
to see a small sample of our adoptable babies.  If you live in the
Chicagoland area, please know that any help you can provide would be
greatly appreciated.  We had finally gotten down to a reasonable resident
amount (about 70) but this current activity brings our numbers back to over
100 ferrets in the shelter.  This amount does not include the 30+ foster
ferrets being housed away from the shelter.  If you can open your heart to
adopt a wonderful fuzzy, to foster an old or recovering soul, to volunteer
a bit of your time or to help financially, PLEASE give the shelter a call
at 708-442-8650 or send an email to [log in to unmask]  Make an appointment
and come visit us - it's a great place to meet some new friends with a
common interest.

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks again to S.O.S. for the
wonderful donation to our vet bill - it was much needed and will be put
to great use.  My condolences to all who have recently lost a loved one,
I feel for you as I am in the boat with you..... Donna