From:
JT Speikn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:54:17 -0800
Hi FMLers.

I just wanted to add a little note of agreement along with Sean D. Sawyer's
last post about.......well, urinary tract infection, but I wanted to talk
about the water bowl :)

When we first became newbie owners, the ferret-care-taker at PetCo had
told us that, "Ferrets NEVER drink out of cups, plates, or bowls, so it's
ESSENTIAL to feed them water from a water bottle."  So Rena and I smiled
and nodded and bought the water bottle.  But what is this??!  Both of my
ferrets are always after our cups, mugs, and plates that have the slightest
trace of water.  Especially Silver, our youngest one always dips her head
and front paws in the water, but she hates taking baths.  Quite a
contradiction.

Anyway, my post was to say that: Having ferrets drink out of plates and
cups other than bottles, can sometimes encourage them to drink more.
Everytime we give them a lick of laxative, ferretvite, or some treats, we
make sure to give them a bowl of water.  That way they're thirsty, and we
can make sure the food goes down.  Good stuff, that bowl of water.  They go
CRAZY for them.

So especially if your ferrets are dehydrated, we strongly recommending this
method before giving them Pedialyte or something.

Ferrets do drink out of cups and bowls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JT & Rena
Trina the unpredictable lapferret
Silver the weiner dooker getting-there lapferret