Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:42:10 +0000
First let me say, bravo for the switch. It's not easy for a lot of us
ferret owners to try something new.

I've used EVO for close to 1.5 years now and I love the stuff (as well
as the fuzz). Yes, it takes time for the ferrets systems to acclimate.
But the end result will be worth it.

I've also heard many people complain when their ferrets are switched to
a lower carb food because of the change in poops. But I still wonder
why people don't understand that a change like this is for the ferrets
benefit, worth a couple or even few months of bad poops. After all, for
years now makers of pet foods have shoved rice down our throats cause
it makes it easier to clean up etc etc. Better for the cats and dogs
they say. I say how? No wonder our pet world is filled with overweight
diabetic cats. Dogs can typically burn that extra sugar, cats well not
usually. Ferrets most definitely can't. No wonder our ferret world is
inundated with insulinomic ferrets. Before anyone jumps, sit back and
think about it.

I got so sick of hearing how adrenal goes with insulinoma and vise
versa. That insulinoma was not food related. My home ran rampant with
insulinoma years ago. And I was not a sugary food treat type person.
Since I started (before EVO even came out) looking for alternatives to
rice in my ferrets diet (yes, I remember when it was no corn, but I
still chose corn over rice) I've seen a mass improvement in the cases
of insulinoma in my home.

Coincidence? I don't believe so. As those I've raised from little
ones (under one year of age) have had no cases of insulinoma. Now,
we're talking seven year olds here. I've never made it past five years
without a ferret here with insulioma. Adrenal yes, but insulinoma no.
Im happy to report (hope I don't jinx myself) that since making the
switch and I do mean years ago deciding that rice was just not in the
cards for my gang even before EVO and NG came on the market by using
others with little to no rice at all.. I've seen a mass of improvement.
Yes, I did the dreaded potatoe (even though it was shoved down my
throat that ferrets couldn't digest potato. I thought it better that
binders as something they couldn't digest was better than their bodies
absorbing extra sugar they didn't need. I am happy again to report that
I now have two seven year olds, one six year old and several five plus
with no new cases. *Sigh* of relief.

Its something I feel as strongly about as I do feeding prey to those
that I've raised on prey and those that have converted. Ive adjust to
the fact that I don't have solid pretty formed easy to clean up poops
it just comes with feeding a low carb diet. Im not on poop watch
anymore (unless I fear they got into something) looking for loose
stools though I consider myself more a possible dehydrated ferret
watcher or abnormal stool watcher. But just about anyone that feeds low
carb food will tell you loose poops are just not consernable. It's a
fact of changing their diets and making it better for them, not easier
for us. That's why rice was introduced into pet foods (well, that and
because frankly it's cheaper than corn) years ago. To make it easier
on us humans. But it came with high consequences later down the road.

I'll take my loose poopers over insulinoma or diabetes anyday. Ps. So
much for the adrenal insulinoma link that one of my vets assured me
years ago. I argued with him then and joyfully argue with him now
except that I have proof now they just don't always come together.
Adrenal can possible drive glucose down a bit but it's just IMHO not
related to or causes insulinoma. That has been my stand and continues
to be since I've got house full of adrenals with no insulinoma. Now,
if we could just "cure" adrenal I'd be set to go.

Also, Im a big avid prey feeding momma. From two to 7 prey eating
heathens in just under five months. That goes for one of the seven
years olds. For those that say you can't teach an old dog/ferret new
tricks, you haven't met Abby. She believes chicken legs are da bomb!
Don't know why that is *shakes head*, she goes for the legs first where
as the other guys tend to go for the head. I shudder when I think about
it, but then I smile. They must be pretty smart guys to know why they
prefer to consider it a want/need to eat that first. Yes, I've been
able to get past the "I can't do it" and "I can't feed those to MY
ferrets" and the wanna wretch stage to smiling because I've now seen a
ferret that enjoys and even dances for joy at food time. Nothing makes
your heart smile like that of a content happy fuzz or the arguing as
two ferrets try to figure out who exactly gets the prey first. Then
the winner dashing off with his prize and the loser saying "who cares"
moms got more.

LeanneB