From:
FerretsFirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:39:43 -0500
Response to people who flamed me:

1) To Marlene, Kris and Paige, /all/ from Richmond Ferret Rescue:
Quote: "/RFRL has 117 ferrets in our system. I do not like having over
25 ferrets in my home. Right now, I have 34. I'm in Richmond, and
handle most of the geriatrics. Paige in Amelia has 23. Kris in
Waynesboro has14. These gals do most of the adoptions. Karen in
Culpepper has 23"/.

Later Olivia was added and Kris has a husband to help. I am honestly
very happy that you have so many people who take the ferrets in. A
Regional Type Rescue is what I keep proposing for Northern Virginia but
unfortunately we do not have the commitment to do what you have done
so well. FerretsFirst rescue has over 30 old and/or sick ferrets that
are unadoptable and another 20 plus in 8 foster home. I, alone, am
responsible for all these ferrets. I have some volunteers but no
husband, kids, or significant other who are committed to help 24/7.
2) To Raisins from Heaven, I am glad you have a husband to help you,
cover when necessary and support you through the hard times.
3) To the other, the reason that I do not have any adoptable ferrets
is because I stopped taking in /all/ ferrets as of November and found
homes for those eligible before my surgeries. Two pair of adoptables
came in because I already had homes for them but I also took in 3
more old ferrets with adrenal and insulinoma for a total of 35 in the
rescue.

I am not interested in continuing this argument so these are my last
statements:

  * I have always said that people who run rescues do the best they
    can with what they have.  I downsized to a number I felt I could
    care for and love on, knowing I was having 3 consecutive surgeries.
  * I do not pick and choose or my home would be filled with
    adoptables rather than old and sick ferrets.
  * We owe two vet practices over $1000 and have 8 ferrets needing
    surgery with no money to it.
  * This rescue has been operating for almost 6 years and the buck
    always stopped with me.  I am tired, burned out and looking
    forward to moving back to PA where my family is. My father is in
    his 80's and can't see anymore.  It is time for me to be near him.
  * By this time next year, FerretsFirst will be a sanctuary in PA
    that will also work to help other rescues.
  * All of this would have been avoided if someone would have called
    to ask 'what's up?"

/Please note/, I have not attacked anyone. I just stated the fact.

Hopefully, someday, people will stop judging each other and appreciate
anyone who helps in anyway they can.

Many thanks to all of you who care for ferrets.

Robin
FerretsFirst Rescue.