From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:03:51 -0800
Well, I found out that the posts I made from a different computer were not
making it through.  I had posted a lengthy one about the symposium, but it
didn't go.  So many of you have posted similar kudos, so I will try to be
brief (lol).

To Randy Belair: You are an angel and are not going to THAT place.  Thanks
to you, I developed a very nasty sinus infection at the symposium <smile>.

I cannot cover everyone that spoke, but suffice it to say that the
symposium was nothing short of AWESOME!  Anyone who did not attend,
please make sure you save up for 2004.  Kudos to the committee for their
efforts - you guys all deserve awards and rewards!

On the ADV-F stuff, PLEASE PEOPLE, GET YOUR FERRETS TESTED!  It is so
easy and inexpensive (unless you are a shelter).  ADV-F is not a remote
or isolated problem.  I learned so much about it and want to thank Mary
McCarty, Tara Palaski and Anne Ryan for all the info they provided at
our lunch table.  You guys certainly know your stuff.  I was pleased to
finally meet all of you.  I am taking test kits with me to the vet for
their physicals soon.  I think this will be a good way to get my vet to
see how easy it is to test and get him in the "swing" of doing the test.
Education is key.

I especially want to thank CJ, for allowing us to come over on Sunday.
What a blast!  She has some of the sweetest ferrets residing at her place.
Jim and I fell in love with Mardi and cannot understand why he is still at
the shelter.  I favor the girls though, and would love to take all three
of the "bitches of Eastwick".  These are adorable girls with spunk, even
though they are elderly.  CJ's personal ferrets.  Sorry if certain people
gave you grief for hanging out with "the evil one".  Hopefully, these
people will realize that their perceptions about others are misguided.  I
was able to meet someone that I didn't care for via email, and certainly
realized that they are good people.

I do have a question on something about ADV-F that was recently posted.
The poster stated something about Avecon telling her that ADV-F does not
show up for six weeks after exposure.  I had not heard this nor is it in
the handouts I have.  Can someone who is "in the know" elaborate on this?
I am confused by that statement.

When thinking about ADV-F, it reminds me of AIDS.  I remember the
"mass hysteria" surrounding the disease and the denial and outright
misinformation that surrounded (and still surrounds it).  In the early
stages, not much was known and people felt it was a "gay" disease.  Not
knowing for certain, how it was spread, more people were exposed.  This
is why ADV-F studies need funding and also why EVERYONE WHO OWNS FERRETS
needs to test.  There are two vets in my state who have told me that "ADV
does not exist" and one who has stated that he treated cases of it back in
the 70s.  He doesn't believe it is terminal or serious.  I don't know how
the same vet can deny its existence and then say they treated for it.
Whatever.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of you at the symposium and look
forward to 2004!

Take care.