From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 11:50:22 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/2005 4:24:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>I just didn't agree with the generalized "deaf ferrets are subject to
>abuse" when they MAY BE subject to abuse but are not always definitely
>subject to it.

-- Oh okay.  I was afraid that you thought I was directing something at
you, in a bad personal way with my first post.  Really, we agree.  My
English, I admit, can be so bad.  When I said, "deaf ferrets are subject
to abuse", I was saying "may".

It's important to get facts straight I realize, but it's also important
to not focus on English rather than the point of the topic.  Actually, I
used the word as an adjective.  The adjective is not a general and
definitive statement.  The definition is: Possibly accepting or
permitting, Being under the power or sovereignty of another or others,
Not exempt from tax.  Possibly (accepting or permitting) is the first
word that defines "subject" as an adverb.  As in "may".  In addition, any
animal or human with any disability or obstacle is not exempt from tax,
and is under a power.  Even if one strategizes around a challenge, or
even overcompensates for it in another way striving to be better (and
can be better), they still have that difference within them.  In that
specific way or area ... there will always be a vulnerability.  No matter
how you look at it.  So, anyway, I did say "may".

Please, we're doing great, so don't take this as personal.  When I say
the following I am saying it in a general way this time.  This is how
topics degenerate from healthy discussions, debate, and disagreements to
confrontation and arguments.  Not cool for the bystanders (other
readers), nor the ferrets.  I want people to read the context in which
something is written.  And not take one word or statement and discount
the entire discussion or topic.

>Most businesses aren't going to stop selling ferrets that they know to be
>deaf, and they SOME most definitely aren't going to tell people about
>ferrets that they know to be deaf,

--- Ditto

>but the key to that is educating the consumer prior to them buying, and
>I believe that one good step towards that at least in my area would be
>to put out free info in the small animal/ferret section of the store so
>that people can look at that info (diseases, costs, nutritional
>requirements, training needs, housing requirements) and decide if a
>ferret is really something that they want to get into.

--- So cool.  It's extra neat that you went on into detail in your FML
post here with really specific examples on how you educate people about
ferret ownership.  That's really helpful.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com