From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:53:11 CST6CDT
Free Roam
All our ferrets have free-roam of the house too.  And like Kelleen, if there
was a fire I'd be the last out and if we didn't make it.... But I do believe
if the door was open and the right squeaky toy was squeaked they'd head for
the door on their own.  I'm working on putting plexi glass around the porch
so if it happens we can do just that, open the door and squeak the toy so
they'll head for the open door and we can gather them outside on the porch.
My porch is concrete and handicap accessible so it is rather large.  I use
kennel carriers as beds for them so all I have to do is grab the doors out
of the closet and toss them out along with the carriers.  I also have a
large cage set out in the shed so we'd have that to fall back on too and one
covered with a tarp behnd the shed.  In an emergency they'd come in handy
for a short time.

Wichita Health Dept
I contacted Roger Smith, Section Leader of Animal Control in Wichita.  Roger
was very responsive and interested in the materials I have to send.  He did
say that some time ago a ferret was quarantined in Wichita because the state
epidemiologist (this couldn't have been Dr. Calder as she recommends all
ferrets that bite be killed) didn't believe there was a risk and the owner
didn't want the animal killed and tested and the person that was bitten
wasn't sure what to do.  Roger was surprised the results of Phase I of the
shedding study and the information on Imrab 3 had not been sent out to the
health depts.

The animal control officer I spoke with would not release the information on
the case as he said it was confidential.  I've found that there is an "Open
Records Act" in our state and will again request the info under that
statute.  Other states may want to check their statutes as well.

In Kansas, the pound employees have the authority to kill the animals.  This
is not done by a vet and who knows how well these people are trained.  None
of us want to imagine the final minutes are fearful and painful for any
animal but.....

Rabies info
I have created a Rabies and the Domestic Ferret Brochure I will be happy to
send to anyone if you'll enclose a self addressed stamped envelope to:
Ferret Family Services, PO Box 186, Manhattan, KS 66505-0186.  This brochure
may be copied and sent to your local vets, physicians, animal control,
pounds, state and local health depts, etc.

I have a request.  We need to know just how many ferrets are being killed
and tested in each state.  Please write a request to your state health dept
requesting the number of ferrets killed and tested each year (1980-1995),
the results, and the circumstances.  For comparison please ask for dogs and
cats as well.  When you receive the data please send a copy to FFS at the
above address.  This information will assist in our pleas to the officials
and the networks for coverage.  I will be more than happy to compile this
data for distribution but we need it ASAP.

In answer to the questions about number of rabid ferrets - there have been
19 cases of rabies in ferrets in the US since the beginning of
recordkeeping, at least 2 of which were possibly vaccine induced and 1
possible misdiagnosis.

There has NEVER been a transmission of rabies from a ferret to a human or
any other animal.

Imrab 3 vaccine IS USDA licensed and approved for use in ferrets.  The
efficacy of this vaccine is higher in ferrets than it is in dogs.  It was
rigorously tested in ferrets and is supported by Wistar Institute research.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.  Hugs to all.
tle

(BIG - I can post the rabies brochure data to the list if you'd like)

[Moderator's note: I made it available on the server, but didn't format it,
so it's maybe a bit "raw".  Anyhow, you can request RABIES TLESTUFF from
[log in to unmask] if you'd like a copy.  (i.e. SEND RABIES TLESTUFF
as the only line in the body of the mail.  BIG]