From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:38:43 -0500
I think we need to remember that ferrets are an extreme fad pet right now
and that this fashion will inevitably slow down.  Until then, we can expect
the number of abandoned ferrets to remain steady or increase.  Being popular
has not only been bad for ferrets.  We must remember that if not for the
surge in popularity of ferrets, they might still be illegal in my home
state, I would never have met my wonderful Marshall Farms baby in the pet
store, and I would not be exchanging mail with you wonderful people.  Ever
wonder where all the pot-bellied pigs went?  Well, a lot of them are
enjoying a liesurely old age in pot-bellied pig rescues while a lot fewer
are being adopted by "novelty" owners (Pam Grant's type 1).  Those people
all have ferrets now.  Pretty soon, they'll switch entirely to sugar gliders
or bintarongs and us ferret lovers can breathe a sigh of relief.

On abused ferrets: There are surely a whole lot of people out there who are
mean to their animals.  I will not deny that.  On the other hand, I have
seen a tendency for people to very quickly assign the title of "abusive" to
former ferret homes based on a ferret's behavior.  I think a lot of good
breeders and pet owners might be unjustly maligned by this tendency.  Some
ferrets are born biters or born skittish and they may need a lot more
attention to be tame.  For example, Mithril bites, but I'm quite sure that
her former owners were gentle and loving to her.  I can't imagine the pet
shop mistreated her.  (The owner told me he takes great pains to handle kits
so that they are reasonable gentle when sold) And I don't think it's fair to
assume that the breeder was some sort of a ferret abuser.  I think it's just
that genetic component of personality.  I also had quite a few holes put
through my feet and hands by a little girl ferret from a very loving home.
She has never lived anywhere else, and was most certainly never abused
there, but she is a nervous wreck (at least around me, ouch).  If you ran
into either of these girls at a shelter, you might say "abusive" about me or
the other owners when it just isn't true.

I guess this is a very rambling way to say that we love scandal and we love
to think the worst about people.  In my opinion, unless you have stronger
evidence than a quirky personality in a ferret, it's quite unfair to label
that ferret as a victim of abuse.

-Catherine