From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:15:24 -0400
Hi gang,

Tonight I have wonderful news!

                    *****  I GOT 'EM!!!!  *****

I was able to "buy" the babies today that were being kept outdoors, four
altogether.  She wanted $50 each.  The mom was there too, the woman said she
didn't want to breed any more so would get her fixed, but I've learned not
to believe this type of person.  It was REAL TOUGH, but I was tactful and
diplomatic and managed to get the mom too, for $50.  We hadn't negotiated on
the kids yet, I wanted to get the mom first.  She had said though she wanted
$50 each.  I offered her another $150 for *all* the kids.  She finally said
"yes".  So I brought home 5 ferrets for the $200 I thought I'd have to spend
for only the 4 kids.  So I KNOW I've put her out of business as that was the
only whole ferret there.

Running a shelter I cannot be buying ferrets and this is not the route to go
under normal circumstances.  But with the ferrets out in the extreme heat, I
just couldn't turn my back.  A sad thing though, there are still 3 out
there.  They're all neutered (I think they're all boys) and supposedly have
"sentimental value" so she says she won't part with them, however, since
this is a very poor neighborhood I wonder if she'd sell them at the right
price.  If she had been willing to take $50 each I think she's have said so,
since she knew I was willing to pay that for ferrets.  She says she's kept
them there for 4 years!!!  No shots!  No Heartworm prevention!  No real
food!  No shelter except a board over the top of their cage!!  The county
she lives in refuses to prosecute cruelty cases unless large numbers of
animals are *dying*, and even then it's tough, so that option is out.  Does
anyone have any ideas??

The mom is a tiny albino, the kids are all dark sable, two boys, two girls.
All seem okay, the mom is really dirty.  She's suposed to be about 1 year
old.  She'll give you kisses on the cheek, then bite your hand, so I have
some holes at the base of my thumb but I DON'T MIND IN THE LEAST!!!!  All
are doing well here, but don't know what to think of being indoors and the
"cool" air.  I'll keep you posted on them.

For the costs of this rescue we have received several pledges and one check
so far has arrived.  If all those who've pledged send the amount they've
stated we're only about $60 short at this time.  I want to say again THANK
YOU!!!  to all those who are sending donations to help with this rescue.  (I
have promised to pay back the $200 to the person who fronted the money by
the 25th.)

I can't tell you how happy I am tonight!!!  I've had a tough time sleeping
worrying about those kids.  Last night was really tough because I was so
nervous that I'd blow this thing.  Thank goodness that part is over.  Now,
if only I could get the other three.....

Kisses to all the "cool" fuzzies out there!!

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter