From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:25:12 -0800
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you all know what's going on with my fighting ferrets,
thanks for all the input from my last post.  One thing: I was just in a
car accident, with Sebastian and Pukka in the car, in their carrier.
Thankfully they came out perfectly all right, just a little shaken.  I
wish I could say the same for my car or myself-- I have whiplash, a
sprained back, and a few other minor things wrong, which is making it a
little difficult to bend over and scoop up naughty ferrets!  But on the
the topic at hand: We seem to be progressing, by the smallest of baby
steps.  The fights are still noisy, but not nearly as bitter as they had
been.  Which brings me to a question: what do you do when there's trouble
integrating a hearing ferret with a deaf one?  Lola is deaf and just
screams a lot when she interacts with other ferrets-- she did this with
Illura, and they loved each other.  The problem is, Lola will start
screaming at Pukka before she even touches her, and I'm afraid Pukka takes
this as a threat.  Pukka lunges, then we suddenly have a screaming ball
of fur and teeth.  Like I said, the fights are not nearly as bad as they
were.  No blood drawn, no flying poop, and tails puff only rarely.  Today
I think I saw a breakthrough: Lola was in her cage eating, and Pukka just
climbed into Lola's hammock and curled up.  Lola sniffed at her and gave
a little "eek!", but there was no biting or screaming.  So like I said, I
think we are (very) slowly but surely making progress.  If anyone has
further advice, maybe someone who's dealt with the deaf ferret/hearing
ferret problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rachel and the fabulous fighting ferrets, Pukka, Lola, and Sebastian

=====
"Go ahead, call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops"

                      -- Tom Waits