Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:09:27 -0400
I thought this was very interesting and possibly gives hope for ferret
owners whose ferrets have problems with their hind legs/walking due to
arthritis, etc. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538720,00.html
Hopefully in the near future, the price will come down for this kind
of veterinary treatment.

I also think that it is a good thing to get another person/spouse in
your home, learn the routine of caring for your ferrets as well as
having names and descriptions/photos on their cages in case something
happens and you need to go into a hospital. I could barely walk, was
on pain meds and anti-inflammatories for severe pain due to severe
osteoarthritis. I showed my husband (didn't know who was who or much
about the ferrets), the routine and made sure he had it down pat before
I went in. I also left emergency vet numbers as well as phone numbers
of people who knew a lot about ferrets in case of emergency. My ferrets
that needed to be out on a different shift or needed meds, went to my
sister's house (Rose of LFFR). Needless to say, I had to have bilateral
total hip joint replacements which tied me up in the hospital and rehab
for almost a month. I still am learning to walk with a cane and not
able to do much yet. Donald is still caring for my kids and will be for
another month and a half or so. My other kids are home and he is now
doing all of them and worked out the shifts. I cannot thank Rose enough
for caring for my other kids, great job Rose!

Eleanor, Donald and the weasels