From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 20:35:42 -0700
The countdown has begun for the 2011 symposium, June 3 in Arizona. If
you would like to be a part of the contributing force behind the IFC
donations for ferret research being given at the symposium, to Dr.
Robert Wagner of Pittsburgh, Pa. and Dr. Matti Kiupel of the University
of Michigan, you still have time to do so!

For those not familiar with the ferret research of these two vets, let
me bring you up to speed.

Dr. Wagner, is the man responsible for working with Peptech, Inc. the
Australian drug company that created Deslorelin implants for ferrets.
It was Doc Wagner's study results that prompted use and availability
of the implant in the U.S.

He has also been working with the GnRH Vaccine. Simply stated this is
a vaccine that is administered to a ferret to prevent adrenal cortical
disease (ACD). Ferrets allowed into this study could not have any
clinical symptoms of the disease and had to be between the the ages of
1.5 and 4 YO. Results to date are promising for use of the GnRH vaccine
as a tool for prevention of ACD.

The other recent study conducted by Dr. Wagner was a Canine Distemper
Virus titer study. Final conclusion of this study was that ferrets
maintain a protective antibody titer for several years, after
vaccination at four months of age.

Dr. Kiupel works at the University of Michigan, specifically in the
Ferret Health Advancement Center. MSU has been involved with ferret
health for several decades and is the leading referral center for ill
ferrets in Michigan, surrounding states and parts of Canada. Treatment
is given at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

As you may have read in Brenda Weyr's post, Dr. Kiupel and his team
worked tirelessly to help Brenda get to the bottom of the viral
outbreak in her shelter, which Dr. Kiupels' team determined was indeed
ECE. With his help she was able to save several of her shelter kids.
Many tissue samples, or ferret bodies are sent to this lab for necropsy
and analysis to determine cause of death and to learn more about the
diseases found.

Dr. Kiupel and his team are known for their work with ADV, ECE and
other rota and corona viruses that effect ferrets. He is also studying
lymphoma and adrenal disease in ferrets. For specific research
information you may go to
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/Research.php

You will see other vets, well known to the ferret community with whom
Dr. Kiupel collaborates; Dr. Bruce Williams and Dr. Jerry Murray. This
site also includes slides of various presentations. I happen to chose
to look at the distemper presentation - it gave me some insight into
the terrible conditions the kids at Washington Ferret Shelter are going
through and what the volunteers who have dedicated their time, efforts
and emotion to, are dealing with. These pics alone would encourage
anyone to make a donation big or small to continue work to find a cure
for the nasty canine distemper virus.

Donations are being accepted until May 30, 2011. Pick a vet to receive
your funds and acknowledge that choice in the comment section of pay
pal or in the memo section of your check. Or ask your donation to be
split between the two. The IFC has said they will match funds for both
vets up to a [total of $1500].

So many in our ferret community have been most generous this year with
all the challenges our families have seen. Please keep in mind, a
donation to this research fund is a gift that will continue to give
back to all of us who love and want the best health for our fuzzies.

Checks may be sent to:
Sharon Bearden, IFC
1245 Curtis Switch Rd
Mineral Bluff, GA 30559