Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:55:08 -0600
I need to ask you guys (that know more than me) how you feel about taking a
ferret to visit a classroom/school, or even worse, having one as a class
pet.  The reason I am posting this, is because I subtitute teach, and am
well aware of the high number of sick kids that attend school all winter
long.  Here in Colorado, with our frequent temperature changes withen a
given week, I see sick kids all schoolyear long.  I take echinacea on a
regular basis, just so I can survive all the hands that poke and hug me,
not to mention the coughing and general lack of handwashing in little kids.
Since ferrets are susceptable to human colds and flus, I am afraid to take
my little Fang to visit my kids, let alone endorse a teacher keeping one in
the classroom.  I also don't think a classroom ferret would get enough
excercize and out-of-cage playtime, since there are never enough hours in
the day for teachers to get their normal stuff done, and quiet time is
usually for curling up with books, etc.  It is my opinion that pets that
require less attention (like guinea pigs) make a better classroom pet, and
allow for the teaching of responsibility just as well.  A ferret needs more
than just his food, water, and litter changed, dotted with little hands
that reach to pet him in his cage...older kids (4-5 graders) are busy
coming into their social phrase, and may take the ferret in the corner for
granted...I would like your responses on this on the FML...

Bless your hearts and your fuzzies'.  lizzi