Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:37:06 EDT
Wow! Did "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge" come at an appropriate time! We
had to help our little Barney cross the bridge this morning!

10 days ago we took him to our vet because of itching and losing his
hair. Even though he was only 15 months old, we suspected that he had
adrenal problem, so a melatonin implant was injected and I continued
giving him benadryl. 6 days later I discovered a mass under one of his
front arms. Thinking it was a possible infection, I started giving him
amoxicillin Throughout the week, he started having trouble breathing,
stopped eating, except what he was fed by hand, and would only take a
few steps before laying down.

Today we had arranged an exploratory because he wasn't doing any better
at all. X-rays showed that he had a huge mass that moved his heart
further down his body, his spleen was 3 times normal, another mass was
under his other arm, his lungs virtually had no air and the only air
he was getting was from a couple of pockets. His organs were pretty
much covered by this mass and couldn't even been seen in the xray.
No surgery was done but a neocropsy was instead. As we feared, he
definitely had Juvenile Lymphoma.

This is so scary. To think that a couple of weeks ago he seemed
healthy, except for a little itching. I KNOW that we made the best
decision for him. He wanted to play, not be sick. He is playing
now....with thousands and thousands of ferrets. My little Barney
Trouble is gone and my heart has a huge hole in it, but I know that
he's healthy and playing.

Thank you for the Beyond the Rainbow Bridge poem as I really needed it
today. As my friend said, Barney has sent us a message today. Goodbye
Barney....I loved you and I will miss you, but you're healthy. Just be
happy...and play nice.

Missed, too by siblings Dudley, Fallon, Rudy, Jake, Kringle, Destiny, &
Minx and Ivory & Molly (felines) & Duncan (canine)