From:
"S. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:52:08 -0800
Hi.  I have Marshall Farms ferrets that were automatically neutered &
descented at an extremely young age.  But, I've heard opinions that
descenting is mutilation and unnecessary.  Does the descent surgery
actually make a ferret smell less?  If once a ferret is neutered/spayed,
doesn't most of the scent go away, or is it still heavy?  I don't believe
I've ever actually been around a ferret that "poofed", so I just don't
know.  I want to know, as I may be considering getting an unaltered ferret,
having it neutered/spayed later, but not descented.  Wondered if someone
prefers descented over un-descented?  Thanks in advance for a reply.