From:
"Vicki L. Pagano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 09:31:29 EST
Hi all,

This post is for Nancy.  Don't feel guilty about asking for help.  That's
what we are here for!  :-)

As far a Buehler is concerned, he is certainly fortunate to have a mommy
who cares about him so very deeply.  Unfortunately, I have encountered this
problem before, but not in any of my ferrets.  My cat, Brie, had the same
problem.  The vet couldn't make heads or tails out of what was wrong.
Finally, after a few hospitalizations, and catherizations, they operated
on him.  What the vet found was what he described as 'sand-like material',
which he states he had never seen before.  He scrapped out what he said was
several tablespoons of this gritty material, stitched Brie up, and told me
to change his diet to a low-ash canned food.  The dry food I buy now is
high quality dry food especially formulated for urinary tract problems.
(Nutro-max).

Happily, it is two years later and Brie is doing well.  No recurrence of
this problem has surfaced so far and I'm happy to report he is a contented
feline.

As for Buehler, I suggest you decide how far you are willing to go with the
problem, then take the course of action necessary to handle it.  If you
want to explore further surgery and can afford it, then ask a qualified
vet if he believes it will help.

Having had bladder surgery myself, I can say for us humans, it is extremely
painful to not be able to pass urine!  For me, it was an agonizing
experience, but fortunately a temporary one.  It sounds like you are doing
your very best to keep him comfortable and safe... He must appreciate you
for that!!

I hope all works out for you and Buehler.  Please write and let us know
how it works out.

hugs,
vicki