From:
Megan McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:52:51 -0400
I thought Bob C.'s note about ferret behavior in groups was really
interesting, especially about ferrets having individual personalities.
Now - I *know* that my guys are all different, but I hadn't thought about
it in that context, and it explains one of my girl's behavior when I got
a new ferret.  Anastasia had been raised only with her sister Amelia, and
when Amelia died, she had a cat for a friend for a while, then I took her
in and she was on her own.  I thought she was lonely, so I got another
girl, Lexie, and they got along like gangbusters - they played and romped
and had fun.  Then I went to a show and fell in love with Sammi and brought
her home, and everything changed.  Anastasia and Lex hardly ever play
together anymore, though both of them play with Sammi, and they all do get
along.  But looking at it after reading Bob C.'s message, I think maybe
Anastasia is just happier with two ferrets -she's used to having one
companion (plus her human, of course!).  Now, when I get tempted to get
another ferret, I'll have to consider not only what kind of hissy fit Lexie
will throw, but if it will be good for Anastasia's comfort and health.

Just something new to think about before you get that next ferret,

Megan and the Sisterly Three:
Anastasia ("You're making me sound so unfriendly!")
Lexie ("I still love you Stasia, but Sammi's more fun to pound!")
Sammi ("I love my sisters!  The more the merrier!")