From:
Marc Lavergne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 1996 02:47:38 -0500
to the FML member and Shannon Ito that wrote:
>>Could someone please send me the reciepe for 'duck soup' and 'elixer' and
>>give what they are used for???
>I'd like to know, too. Sounds tasty!

Duck soup is liquid food served to sick ferrets. Here is 2 recipes posted
earlier this winter by Dick Bossart and Meg Carpenter.

Recipe from Dick Bossart:
At the shelter here, we make up a Duck Soup made from pulverized,
high-quality, dry kitten food (about 1/2 cup); Sustical ((about 1/8 cup)
(human food supplement found in grocery stores and drug stores - we use
strawberry flavored- , usually in 8 oz six packs); Nutrical or Nutristat
(about an 2 inches); a little Ferretone or Linetone (one to two pumps); and
water or Pedilite.  You can also add chicken (baby food).  If the ferret
will eat it on its own, add enough water to make a thick paste.  If it
won't, make the mixture watery.  It helps to warm it in the microwave but
stir it with your fingers before serving to make sure that there are no hot
spots.

Recipe from Meg Carpenter:
Duck soup for recovering ferrets.  One can of sustecal or ensure.  Add
Totally Ferret or other high protein feed.  Add 1/2 or more cup of
pedialyte.  Add teaspoon of Special Care by Four D Paws (available from
Omaha Vaccine Company 1-800-367-4444) and anything else you want to get into
your ferret.  Tip from a breeder friend.  Use electric coffee grinder to
powder dry food.  This makes it easy when you mix the above in a blender.
Feed to ferret with infant medicine dropper.  BTW,.  all of my ferrets get
some duck soup from time to time - they love it and it makes it a familiar
treat when they are sick.

Lorraine Tremblay & her 6 healthy ferrets