From:
Jaya Daniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:23:19 -0700
My big, gorgeous doofus ferret, Ralphie, about 5 years old, just got
diagnosed with lymphoma..he was coughing and having trouble breathing,
and x-rays yesterday showed a mass in his abdomen. In reading up on
lymphoma, I keep running across articles that say the most likely
culprit is a virus, and that there has been statistical clustering of
lymphoma among ferrets who co-habitate. I wondered, from among you who
have more experience with lymphoma, especially shelter parents, do
you separate ferrets with this diagnosis due to the possibility? If
not, have you seen other ferret playmates or cagemates ending up with
lymphoma soon after as well? I certainly don't want to take Ralphie
away from his friends when he needs them most, but potentially losing
more of them to this would be tragic, too. What do people think?

Jaya