From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:16:58 EST
>Your results may differ of course.  I treated one ferret with prednisone
>alone and he survived for 3.5 years with insulinoma and lived to be
>almost 7 years.

In regard to Mike Janke, I'm sure each individual ferret (wi/insulinoma),
will vary with his/her life span.  Age may or may not be a factor.  I do
know of ferrets who were 7 and 8 yrs. old, and living quality lives for
another one to two years with pancreatic procedures.  Years prior, I had
one ferret that didn't make it past 48 hrs. of a partial pancreatectomy
procedure, but more recently, another male, sable ferret lived to 10 yrs.
old, and was diagnosed with insulinoma at age 6 yrs.  I treated him with
a potent antioxidant supplement (listed in the physician's PDR, and
approved by the FDA), and Pred, instead of any surgical procedure.  With
this therapy, Bear's symptoms (low blood glucose episodes/seizures)
decreased with time, until there were none.  I kept him on the
antioxidant, and occasional Pred, but that was it.

Phyllis