From:
Gary Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:44:10 -0400
Hi,

I'm writing in response to the question about dogs and ferrets.  If you are
going to get a dog I would not recommend any terrior or other breed that is
used for hunting/killing small animals such as a schipperke (sp).  It is
instinct for these animals to kill small animals.  If the puppy was raised
with the ferrets they might get along okay but I myself would be hesitant to
try it.  I would highly recommend a Shetland Sheepdog (miniature collie).
My wife and I have one that's 11 years old and has been around ferrets all
his life.  He has never been on a farm but he instinctively tries herding
the ferrets around the house.  They of couse think it's a game and the
herding turns into a wrestling match.  Shelby, our sheltie, never hurts the
ferrets.  He is very gentle with them.  The ferrets are not as gentle with
him.  We used to have a pet rat and we always knew where the rat was when he
was loose because Shelby watched her wherever she went.

Gary

PS.  I run a pet sitting business and one of my clients was a Jack Russell
Terrior.  They are cute and very intelligent.  I fell in love with it.

Gary D. Connors                            M/A-COM
(508) 442-4071                             Mailstop 206
Email: [log in to unmask]              1011 Pawtucket Blvd
Fax: (508) 442-4090                        Lowell, MA 01853
Face piles of trials with smiles, for it riles them to believe that
you perceive the webs they weave, and keep on thinking free.
                                  - Justin Hayward/The Moody Blues