From:
Shannon Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:02:51 -0600
Hi everyone, Since I am a newbie when it comes to ferrets and I know that
I love my little fuzzy so much.  He is such a trouble maker!!!  I have a
really important question to ask.  I was at my local Wal-Mart today and
they had the folks from the local humane society there.  I was curious to
know if they ever get ferrets at the shelter.She said that on occasion they
do but not very often.  I asked the lady what was the screening process
for perspective owners.  She said none just as long as the person paid the
adoption fee.  When I purchased my fuzzy I had did a lot of research and
did not just jump into the purchase.  I can see a family going in looking
for a new pet (cat or dog) and seeing the ferret and on impulse picking the
ferret.

I can see a lot of chance for potential abuse and neglect.  I am going to
call the shelter on Monday and ask more questions and volunteer my time in
cases of ferrets in the shelter.  My BIG question is.  What questions etc.
should I ask the shelter?  Should I be concerned about possibly passing on
disease to my ferret.  I told the lady from the shelter that I would pay
for the right food etc.  I would consider adopting the possible ferret but
am afraid for the welfare of the one I already have.  I would appreciate
any help.  I live in New Mexico and the nearest ferret shelter is miles
away.

Thanks for the help.
Shannon & Kodo(the ankle biter)