From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 14:16:22 -0400
Don't worry Marguerite, this isn't hammering of people who haven't
expressed a desire to understand consumer desires and needs!

There was a REQUEST from that vet at Petco because he WANTS to convince
his company to not carry those products but he NEEDS to show the business
types that this is a strong wish in the consumer base and that not
considering ferret health when making product line choices can lose
customers to those stores which do take health into account.  He needs
these letters to sway choice more toward health.

At The Ferret Store there was a question raised about what matters to
consumers.

This is the base letter I am using myself, with specific notes added.
Anyone who wants to work from it to save time is welcome, though I know
anyone else can say it as well if not better:
"I am greatly concerned about ferret health so it troubles me when a
company sells products which may undermine health or pose other serious
risks.  It would greatly please me if [Insert Company Name Here.] would
not re-order any treats or foods for ferrets which may cause pancreatic
disease or blockages due to high sugar content, or due to containing
chunks of dried fruits, vegetables, or seeds.  Please, let your upper
management know that the ferret community has good cause to be worried
about these products for our ferrets who are obligate carnivores
vulnerable to insulinoma and blockages, and that other stores are
removing them from their purchasing lists as an indication of their
commitment to ferret health.  Please, encourage companies from which
you buy to strongly consider ferret health before creating products."

Here are the addresses:
Dr. Thomas Edling, Director, Veterinary Medicine for Petco

Scott Sanfilippo, President of NEEPS, the parent company of
The Ferret Store

This is a project which has already made wonderful in-roads in other
stores, such as PetSmart where the company vet has even gone so far as
to ask about what litter box designs and sizes work best, and the Ferret
Depot which has also mentioned preferentially carrying the most healthy
products.  So, we already know that it CAN be done.  It just will take
some in-put from a number of ferret people now to convince some reluctant
people to consider health in their product purchasing choices.